2023 College Scholarship WinnersSenaa Debala, Kayla Schnippel and Ella Sommer
The Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce encourages higher education and awards scholarships each year to qualified high school seniors who are going on to a college, university, community college or trade school after graduation. It is awarded at the Mt. Zion Chamber Annual Banquet in April. These scholarships are non-specific and may be used for any college expenses.
The Mt. Zion Chamber Scholarship Fund has donated thousands of dollars through the years to qualifying graduating seniors from the Mt. Zion School District or to the child of a Mt. Zion Chamber member. This is one of the ways the Mt. Zion Chamber gives back to the community through its efforts in raising money through its multiple events each year.
The scholarships are awarded to qualified seniors from the Mt. Zion School District or to the child of a Chamber member who completes the official application and fulfills the other criterion required. The Executive & Finance Committee consists of the Mt. Zion Chamber officers. Decisions are final.
Be sure to complete everything you are required to submit. Check the criterion on the newest application when it is available on this website by February of each year as the committee reserves the right to change the criterion from year to year. Here is the criterion used for 2024:
- Must be in the current graduating class from Mt. Zion High School or if attending another high school must be the child of dues-paying Mt. Zion Chamber member. If home-schooled must provide proof of eligibility.
- Must provide acceptance letter from a post-secondary institution to pursue an associate or baccalaureate degree in a business-related field or other major or letter of acceptance from a trade school if pursuing a technical career.
- Must enroll as a full-time college student (minimum of 12 credit hours per semester) or show proof of their full-time course load or full-time apprenticeship in a trade school.
- Must submit completed application, official high school transcripts, and other required documents to the Chamber by March 18, 2024.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (weighted scale) by the end of 7th semester.
- Must demonstrate service to the Macon County community.
- Must submit a separate page describing the service you have performed (include extra-curricular activities, church/community service, work experience, etc.).
- Must submit a separate page essay of at least 250 words describing the benefits of affiliation with the Chamber of Commerce in promoting business and business professionals.
A press release is sent out to local news media and chamber members; and Mt. Zion High School advisors are notified when the application is available on the Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce website so that they can notify their seniors. Applications and all other required documents are due in March and are either emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 84
Mt. Zion, IL 62549
After the Executive & Finance Committee deliberates on the awardees of the scholarships and how much each will receive, the scholarship recipients are mailed a letter inviting them to attend the Annual Banquet in April with their parents. Details of the Annual Banquet will be in their letter and on this website.
During the Annual Banquet program, the scholarship recipients receive a certificate and a check. The scholarship recipients’ picture will be taken and will appear in the newspaper, on our website, and on our Facebook page.
The Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce hopes that this scholarship helps fulfill each scholarship recipient’s future goals.
If you have any questions, you may call the MZCC Administrator at 217-864-2526 or email email@example.com.