College Scholarship Fund
2021 College Scholarship Winners
The Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce encourages higher education and awards College Scholarships each year to qualified high school seniors who are going on to a college, university, or community college after graduation. It is awarded at the Mt. Zion Chamber Annual Banquet in April. These scholarships are non-specific and may be used for any college expenses.
The Mt. Zion Chamber Scholarship Fund has donated thousands of dollars through the years to qualifying graduating seniors from the Mt. Zion School District or to the child of a Mt. Zion Chamber member. This is one of the ways the Mt. Zion Chamber gives back to the community through its efforts in raising money through its multiple events each year.
The scholarships are awarded to qualified seniors from the Mt. Zion School District or to the child of a Chamber member who completes the official application and fulfills the other criterion required. A Scholarship Committee consisting of Mt. Zion Chamber Board members who are business leaders. Decisions are final.
Be sure to complete everything you are required to submit. Check the criterion on the newest application when it is available on this website in February as the Scholarship Committee reserves the right to change the criterion from year to year. Here was the criterion used in 2019:
- Must be in the current graduating class from Mt. Zion High School or if attending another high school
- Must be the child of dues-paying Mt. Zion Chamber member. If home-schooled must provide proof of eligibility.
- Must provide acceptance letter from a post-secondary institution to pursue an associate or baccalaureate degree in a business-related field or other major.
- Must enroll as a full-time college student (minimum of 12 credit hours per semester).
- Must submit completed application, official high school transcripts, and other required documents to the Chamber by March 1st.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (weighted scale) by the end of 7th semester.
- Must demonstrate service to the Macon County community by describing the service you have performed (include extra-curricular activities, church community service, work experience, etc. on a separate page.
- Must submit an essay of at least 250 words describing the benefits of affiliations such as the Chamber of Commerce in promoting business and business professionals.
A press release is sent out to local news media, chamber members and Mt. Zion High School advisors are notified when the application is available on the Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce website so that they can notify their seniors. Applications and all other required documents are due March 1st and are mailed to:
Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 84
Mt. Zion, IL 62549
After the Scholarship Committee deliberates on the awardees of the scholarships and how much each will receive, the scholarship recipients are mailed a letter inviting them to attend the Annual Banquet in April with their parents. Details of the Annual Banquet will be detailed in their letter and on this website.
During the Annual Banquet program, the scholarship recipients receive a certificate and a check. The scholarship recipients’ picture will be taken and will appear in the Mt. Zion Region News, on our website, and on our Facebook page.
The Mt. Zion Chamber of Commerce hopes that this scholarship helps fulfill each scholarship recipient’s future goals.
If you have any questions, you may call the Chamber Administrator at 217-864-2526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.